Pure Organic Skincare Creams
Organic standards for cosmetics are a relatively new thing but certainly a step in the right direction. The essential oil in a cream can be as little as 0.25% of the total ingredients so whether its organic or not is not a big deal but as the cream can take its name from the essential oil then it will be a marketing consideration.
In fact to describe a cream as organic in the product title requires it to contain 95% organic ingredients which is virtually impossible as the preservatives (that work) are non organic.
When you look at the marketing from the organic beauty brands also the lines of doesnt contain this or that....No... No.... No.... No.... you might say well if you wanted a cream THAT pure the clue is in the name. Just go to the fridge and get that fresh organic thick cream out, add essential oil and you are away.
Enough synthetic material goes on the face by way of makeup without adding any more synthetic chemicals to the skin than are necessary. There is good education around now and people realise that is they really want youthful looking skin then they need to stay out of the sun and wear sunblock. Essential oils can help but no amount of cream is going to reverse UVA damage to the collagen producing fibroblasts.
Skincare with essential oils - the questions to ask
Essential Oil Basics:
- What is an essential oil?
- Why and how is it made?
- Methods of extraction, and consequent composition
- Understanding essential oil chemistry
- Essential oil chemistry in relation to soap
Dosage, Mixing & Measuring:
- How to convert between drops, ounces, mL, grams, etc.
- Proper usage rates in leave-on and rinse-off products
- Blending for natural products
Essential Oil Integrity:
- Essential oil quality: contamination & adulteration
- Is there such a thing as “therapeutic grade” – and what does that mean?
- Flash points – what are they & what do they matter?
- Essential oil oxidation & use of antioxidants
- How to properly handle & store your essential oils
Adverse Reactions & Safety Issues:
- Allergic Reaction Is it ok to put any essential oils on your skin undiluted?
- Citrus oils & phototoxicity – should you be concerned?
- Allergic reactions – how common are they and how to deal with a bad reaction
- Which essential oils to absolutely avoid on the skin
- Health concerns and contraindications when using essential oils
- Effect of essential oils on hormones (for men & women)
- Pregnancy risks & using essential oils on children/babies
- A brief discussion about using essential oils internally
Essential Oils & The Skin:
- How much of an essential oil penetrates the skin
- How essential oils interact with the skin
- Protecting the skin with essential oils
- Ageing, photo-ageing, skin cancer
- Healing the skin
- The top 10 essential oils for skin care
- Essential oils and their antibacterial effects
- Essential oils as preservatives
- Aromatherapy effects: calming, invigorating, uplifting